Tuesday, October 6, 2009

10/6/09

Video Summary:
Let's Play The Simpsons: Hit and Run #36


AAAAGGGHHHHHH! ZOMBIES!!!!!!!

Welcome to Level 7, where zombies walk the Earth, the missions get harder, and Homer can have a costume that changes his head to look like a donut (that has been picked at and eaten (by himself, of course)). At least I can say that this IS the final stretch, and this project should be completed within the next week. Kinda sad....but also relieving.

Mission 1 is actually pretty easy. I only failed it because I forgot that the time carries over to the second and third parts, which resulted in me failing. Definitely talk to Flanders as soon as possible, otherwise, FAIL AHOY! That was more of an oversight than an actual fail though. Although, I ask why would you need a time limit for going next door? I know the zombies are coming, but still...

Anyways, this is going to be a short entry just because I didn't really do that much. Hopefully in tomorrow's video I can get a street race, the bonus mission, and Mission 2 completed.

Quote of the Day:
"It's the top of the 7th and....OH GOD....ZOMBIES! They're devouring the crowd! Now...NOW THEY'RE EATING MY BRAIN! OH, THE PAIN! AGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!"
- Kent Brockman

---------------------------------------------

Look to the Past:

Although not the exact date (and since I can't think of anything else to talk about for this entry), around this time last year, the end was seen for a certain LP. However, not just any LP. On October 8th, the very first Youtube LP of Pikmin was brought to an end.

Let's Play Pikmin


For the longest time, Pikmin was considered by myself, to be my biggest accomplishment on Youtube. Now I look back on it and barely remember anything about it. XD Ok, maybe I remember a few things, but it seems like such a long time ago. Anyways, for this entry, I'm going to talk about how this LP came to fruition, some of the things I'll never forget about it, many of the trials I had to overcome with it, and various other fun-facts.

The idea of a Pikmin LP actually started a few months before the actual LP started. In July 2008, I had a poll for what my next LP would be, and Pikmin was strangely the most voted for choice in the poll. I was glad that a game I added at the last minute was considered to be a good LP candidate. I thought about it for awhile, but then decided to do something else. So instead, I chose Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, a game that wouldn't take me very long, and a game I could just enjoy for the last part of summer vacation.

However, the Pikmin idea definitely wasn't dropped. A few months later in September, I finally decided that I would do the Pikmin LP, but I had to solve a few other problems. At the time, I still didn't have a compatible movie-making program with my capture card on my laptop. However, in the end, I decided to contact my college's Apple support center, and they helped partition my Macbook hard-drive so I could use Windows software. =)

After that, things kind of started to go my way. I got a few videos up of the LP, but then immediately I ran into another snag. My Windows Movie Maker just wouldn't capture footage from my capture card. I tried again and again and again, but I just couldn't get it to work. I tried asking around and Rainiac666 from the Let's Play Forums actually recommended that I try a program called Camtasia for capturing. I took his advice and downloaded it, and thus, the LP was saved.....

.....However, Camtasia actually ended up causing more problems. First off, it wouldn't record the game audio, for whatever reason (a problem I still can't figure out to this day), and then I also chose a very bad video quality file type, which completely botched the video quality. The quality wasn't terrible, but it definitely looked very pixely. Nevertheless, I kept going, and I tried to fix the problems as best as I could. I added game music into my videos (although that never solved the issue of missing sound effects), and people didn't seem to mind the pixely quality. I was happy that near the end of the LP, I was able to record the episodes on my computer at home, so I could have both the sound and good video quality again, but I just wish I could have gotten to that earlier....oh well.

Some of the things I'll never forget? Well, first there is the famous "leading blue pikmin into fire" incident, perhaps the biggest mind blank in the history of my LPs. I just didn't think about that at all, and then all the sudden....I saw a bunch of blue Pikmin on fire. I also remember getting creative with the project and adding those half-day messages in, which I had a lot of fun with (although some people got angry with me rickrolling them). With a project that had numerous trials and errors....there were a lot of great moments as well.

-------------------------------------------

Entry done.......Slimmy leave! =)

-SlimKirby

No comments:

Post a Comment