Friday, October 2, 2009

10/2/09

Video Summary:
Let's Play The Simpsons: Hit and Run #32


Thank God it's Friday, and thank God for progress!

I really mean it though, a considerable amount of progress is made in this video. Maybe not in the sense of story missions, but definitely for the extras. I think I have a good handle on this level so I can actually just cruise through the next 2 or 3 videos. I still got those street races to do though, and I remember those being a bitch (like a good majority of them), but we'll see what happens (footage cuts are my friends =)).

Not much to say about Mission 2....well, except for maybe the ending. I did get rather lucky with getting nudged into the finish line. I thought it was over when I saw the limo's arrow go flying towards me and the line, but thankfully I lucked out. That jump is actually pretty dangerous when it comes to the races in this game. I think you have to do that jump in 3 races (1 being the Ralph race), and the computer's do it well nearly all the time. We'll see more of that later on though. As for the street race....it's the Time Trial, so there is literally nothing to worry about. Those pier turns can be risky though.

That's about it, look out for more Bart craziness in upcoming videos!

Video quote of the day:

"Control human behavior? No beverage can do that.... OH NO! I HAVEN'T HAD A DUFF IN 2 HOURS! MY LIFE IS OVER!"
- Barney

-------------------------------------------

What SlimKirby is Watching:

Here is another idea I had for a section. I generally watch a lot of LPs on my downtime, and I figured every now and then, I would talk about what I watch. Maybe give a little review, and possibly a shout-out to the user involved (if they need one (I'll explain why I say this in a second)).

Ok, so the user I am going to be talking about today...well, he really needs no introduction or shout-out. He is a big name in LPs and game playthroughs with a whopping 48,000+ subscribers.

chuggaaconroy (Let's Play Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and various other projects)
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuggaaconroy

To be perfectly honest, I had never heard the name chuggaaconroy until I was doing "Ask SlimKirby" last summer when someone asked me if I would ever do a co-op Mario Party game with him. Curious about this, I went to his channel, expecting to see Mario Party videos. Turns out this guy was asking me if I would do a co-op with perhaps the biggest playthrougher on Youtube...that and the asker couldn't really comprehend that we don't live in the same area and that idea was pretty much impossible XD.

Looking at his projects, I wasn't surprised by his subscriber count. The entire Mother series thus far, two Paper Mario games, Super Mario RPG, and Pokemon (he hadn't started Sunshine by this point)....these are games that will generally and more than likely draw a crowd no matter what ("Paper Mario" is after all, one of the "pre-typed suggestions" that pop up when you type "Let's Play" in Youtube Search). Plus, the fact he had good video quality helps as well.

Was/Am I jealous of his popularity? Not at all...I am merely stating facts here. If you look at trends, playthroughs of very popular mainstream games get this kind of attention. And while the "Mother/Earthbound" series isn't necessarily mainstream, it is unique enough to draw a crowd (especially with Mother representation in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Ness and Lucas). Then, video quality tends to add on to that. Also, chuggaa has been doing this for a long time. I've technically been doing walkthroughs for longer, but when he started, I was still doing camera->tv recordings. In terms of good video quality recorded LPs/Playthroughs, he has got me beat.

So chuggaa's popularity is not surprising in the least, and I hold no jealously towards that. He does what he does, and I do what I do. I'm not trying to compete here...I'm just trying to share my love for video games with you guys. :P

Anyways, this past week, I finally decided that I was going to watch a chuggaa project for the very first time. I was kind of familiar with his style by this point, but only in bits and pieces. I chose to watch his TTYD project first, because I've been on a Mario RPG high lately (due to Mario and Luigi 3 being released), and I didn't have TTYD with me. I'm not finished watching the project yet (it is a very long game, after all), but I'm about like....70% through with it. Anyways, here is what I have to say about chuggaa now....

...now I'm even less surprised that he has that many subscribers. Why? The great quality in both video and audio (specifically the commentary), the energy, commitment, humor, and personality he puts into every video, and the great deal of professionalism he brings to the table (he knows what he is talking about, and he even goes the extra mile through clever video editing, and annotations and pop-ups). I have to admit that I am really impressed with the amount of work this guy does, and not just any work....great work. He definitely has the SlimKirby seal of approval, in my eyes.

So yeah, if you are one of the very few individuals who haven't heard of chuggaa, definitely consider checking him out. I'm not saying you will like and enjoy him, or that you have to, (so don't go in there expecting to be blown away), but I do think he is definitely worth a mention in my book through all the hard work he does for Youtube. If you are anti-chuggaa or think he is overrated, that's perfectly fine and acceptable and you have every right to think that. We all have different opinions and observations, and it wouldn't be fair to argue against them among each other because we all have personal feelings and beliefs.

And chuggaa, if you are watching/reading this (which I highly doubt), keep up the great work!

--------------------------

That's about it for this update/entry! Have a great weekend guys!

- SlimKirby

1 comment:

  1. I watched chugaa's Mother 3 let's play and I burst into tears at the end, laughed so hard in the middle and was ecstatic at the start

    ReplyDelete