Saturday, September 26, 2009

9/26/09

Video Summary:
Let's Play The Simpsons Hit and Run #26


I love videos where I make quite a bit of progress, and I'm thankful that this is one of those said videos. First off, I complete the two missions as I promised. Second, I get quite a bit of the extras I needed for this level, and thirdly....well, I can't think of a 3rd so early in the morning, but I'll leave it at that.

Both of the missions are pretty straight-forward. The first is "follow this and collect whatever it drops over the course of the whole level, and the second is "avoid 2 easily-to-avoid cars." Yeah, Apu's missions really aren't that terribly difficult for now. They will really become a pain later on when I get to the 5th and 6th mission, but for now they are pretty simple.

I really wish I had more to say about this video, but it's hard to when you are doing fairly easy stuff with no problem. I guess I'll just leave it at that then

Video Quotes of the Day:

Me: I'm back in this area because...
Apu: HEY! Move it Whitey!

"We don't know nothin....except that the vans are controlled by mysterious strangers..."
~Louie

"Thank You for Coming! I'll see you in Hell!"
~Apu

So many great quotes, despite this uneventful episode of progress.

------------------------------------

SlimKirby's Top 5

With Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story being released recently, I thought I would also talk about how I would rank the other games of the Mario RPG collection. This means the Paper Mario series, the other games of the M&L series, and pretty much any game with the word "RPG" or game that has "RPG" elements. There is one game you guys will not accept as an RPG, but it should technically be counted despite it's obscurity.

SlimKirby's Top 5 Mario RPGs

5. Mario Golf: Advance Tour - Some of you are probably scratching your head in confusion, but MG:AT is technically a golf game with RPG elements. As you complete rounds, win and place in tournaments, and get better scores, you will receive EXP that can be used to level up your character and increase his/her stats accordingly. Although I am a huge fan of Mario Golf, this game is this far down on the list due to the fact that there is only so much you can do in this game. There are only 5 courses, and 4 of them are rather bland (the final course is one where Mario gimmicks start coming into play). While there is a lack of courses, they somewhat make up for it in side games and a few other unlockables. Also, for a golf game, the controls are pretty solid and you can generally get a feel to how terrain and other hazards come into play. However, the best feature of this game is that you can take your really buff character, and your performance enhancing items into Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (via: the Gamecube-GBA Link Cable) and crush the competition.

4. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga - I won't go into much detail about this game here since I went into that detail when I gave my first impressions on Bowser's Inside Story, but for the most part, this game is a very solid title. Great gameplay, good length, and a lot of fun. Key aspects of a great RPG title.

3. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - A power-packed sequel of epically thinned proportions. This outing expanded on Paper Mario in a variety of ways; with a tweaked combat system to get the viewers more involved in the battles (literally), a much darker plot, numerous side quests and secrets to find, and everything else you gotta love about Paper Mario. For the most part, this game will want you craving more and more as you go through it, which is a good thing because this is a pretty long game.

2. Paper Mario - You are probably wondering why I have this game above its successor when I had nothing but good things to say about it? Well, here's the thing.....while I do think TTYD enhanced a lot of the features from its predecessor, I don't think it was anything that really needed enhancing. Sure, it was nice for the game itself, but Paper Mario was a classic, and in my opinion, had very little flaws to begin with. Paper Mario came out when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I'll give TTYD the edge in storyline and implementing unique gameplay and puzzles, but for everything else, I'm staying true to the original.

1. Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars - Of course you had to see this game on my list eventually....it was one of my Youtube projects after all. :P Anyways, this game gets a lot of praise and positive reviews from, well, a lot of people. However, an old-timer like me can see why. This game holds up very well, even after 13 years or so of the game's release, and will always be a childhood favorite of mine. From Bandit's Way, to Forest Maze, to Booster's Tower, to Land's End, to Barrel Volcano, to Bowser's Keep, this a journey that very few ever forget.

--------------------------------------

That's about it for today's update. Hope you guys are having a good weekend thus far!

- SlimKirby

2 comments:

  1. Awesome top 5 list! I was actually considering doing something very similar on my blog this week. I pretty much agree with your top 5 except I haven't played Mario Golf and I would put TTYD above the original, which despite your reluctance I suspect that deep down you know it belongs there ;p

    ReplyDelete