Friday, September 25, 2009

9/25/09

Video Summary:
Let's Play The Simpsons: Hit and Run #25


Although I'm not really that disappointed in myself, I do feel kinda bad about having a video with such little progress and no mission completion. Heck, I don't even get any of the missions started in this video. However, I suppose that is just way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I can look at the positives in that I completed a very long street race (perhaps the longest in this level), which means that I won't have to worry about sticking it at the beginning or end of a video (the other two races are actually pretty short if I remember correctly).

Anyways, for the most part, there really weren't that many struggles in this video. That stupid wasp camera near the monorail was a pain in the ass, but I should have just gotten the level collector card and came back so it could respawn back on the platform.

And boy did I get lucky in that street race. Bart kind of just crashed into anything and everything he could after I screwed up so badly in the beginning. I also should have considered a different car, because while the police car is fast, in an area with so little boundaries it won't turn that well, which kind of led me to my problem in that race. I think the Longhorn probably would have been better.

This also happens to be an episode where I nearly botch everything I say. During the street race I said something about "you can drive in the right lane, but watch out for the other racers because they will usually be driving on that side in the other direction" or something like that. When in actuality, I was actually talking about the left lane/side. Before you say anything, YES, I know the difference between right and left, but during commentary, sometimes you just lose track of what you say, especially when part of you is focused on the race. I'm doing my best though to avoid that, but it's hard for me.

Anyways, that's all the info you'll be getting from this summary. :P

Video Quotes of the Day:

"3, 2, FLOOR IT LOSER!"
~ Nelson

"Vote Quimby"

-------------------------------------

One-Year Time Machine:

I've been doing Youtube projects for over 2 years now, and one of my favorite things to do is to look back at some of those old projects and how they've progressed over time, and then just to remember some classic moments and memories.

Let's Play Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars


About this time exactly one year ago, I decided to do something very stupid. I was smack dab in the middle of my Pikmin project when I was like, "Hey! I'll start a new project! And here is an even better idea, let's make it an overdone RPG!" Yeah, let's just say that clearly wasn't the best idea on my part, but do I regret doing this game? Quite the opposite.

Super Mario RPG remains to this day, my longest LP that isn't a Fire Emblem game. I started the game during the final weeks of September and finished it during the last weeks of January. The game shouldn't have taken me 4 months to complete, but keep in mind that I also balanced and finished 3 projects during the time it took me to do this game. Also, due to my laptop's hard-drive crashing, I was literally forced to not update for 2 weeks. However, after getting my laptop fixed, I resumed recording immediately and updated like mad.

There were numerous highs and lows to this project. First off, I already started off on the wrong foot by using Camtasia to capture the footage from my capture device. Here is a warning for you guys.....only use Camtasia for screen recordings....AND ONLY SCREEN RECORDINGS. Camtasia terribly botches the video quality from the capture card, and not only that, but it doesn't even pick up the game audio...I mean WTF? Basically, this made the first seven episodes look blotchy and some didn't even have audio. For others I just added game music, but of course the game music is going to seem strange when you can't hear any of the sound effects. So yeah, I wasn't entirely proud about those first few episodes. Also, back then I was still relatively new at doing commentary, so there were some videos were my very low comfort level was quite noticeable. However, what's done is done, and there is not much I can do about it now.

When it was all said and done though, I had my biggest gain of subscribers during this project. I easily went from 300 to 700 in a matter of months, a jump I was quite proud of back in the day. Of course it's not impressive by today's standards when I gain that many in less than a month, but keep in mind, I wasn't very big back then. For that, I consider this project a success.

It still seems weird that around this time one year ago I had just started this project.

--------------------------------

Anyways, that's about it for this update!

Thank you, come again! =P
~Apu

-SlimKirby

No comments:

Post a Comment