Sunday, May 2, 2010

5/2/10 - May I Give a Warm Welcome to May?

Another month has finished, another month is upon us.

Hello everybody, SlimKirby here!

In just one week, I will be updating my blog from the comfort of my own home. Sure, I've made updates from there before, but now on a regular basis (for 3 1/2 months anyways). I just have to get through a week of final exams (I'm looking pretty good as far as my grades are concerned), and then summer vacation will be upon me!

The Super Mario Galaxy 2 countdown is also getting smaller, with only 3 weeks left. I've been thinking....maybe when I get the game, I should do a log of my progress on here (or possibly make a twitter account). As far as LPing the game, it's definitely something I would like to do, but I would honestly rather do a Super Mario Galaxy LP first. Before anyone gets any ideas, Galaxy is not one of my next LPs, nor do I really have a Galaxy LP planned for this year. Maybe in 2011???? ;)

Also in game news, I have overcome the challenge of Red in Pokemon Heart Gold, winning with my team of Level 72-74s. It was quite challenging, especially considering the levels he had on me, but my Pokemon were up to the challenge. He really should have evolved his Level 88 Pikachu -_-.

Ok, onto Youtube stuff.

---------------------------------------------------

Super Bomberman 2:

Game finished! Nothing left to say. For all comments regarding my feelings about the project and future endeavors in the Bomberman series....you honestly didn't watch the videos I posted because I discussed that already. :P

---------------------------------------------------

Advance Wars:

This will be the last week of Advance Wars, and boy am I pleased that this game is finally over. I loved doing the project and I'm glad many people enjoyed it, but I've been ready to put a close to this project weeks ago. This project will officially close on Friday when I post the extra videos. However, while Friday will be the closing, and Wednesday will be the final Campaign Mode videos, it will be the videos that go up tomorrow that will be the ones to look forward to, in a 6-video upload, a mass uploading on my channel really only seen during Mario Party projects. However, those six videos alone can't tell the story of the process I had to go through. In fact, let's take a look at how this mission went down.

Thursday, April 22nd - This was my first attempt at practicing the mission. I did pretty well considering what happened, but when I finished the mission, I had a "jawdrop" moment when my Technique and Speed scores were pretty much perfect, yet my power score was almost 0. Because of the low power score, I was only able to get a B-Rank, which was not acceptable in my eyes.

Friday, April 23rd - It was this day that I figured out the reason for my very low power score. Apparently the reason my score was so low was because the kills you make against Sturm have to be gotten with Andy in order for the power score to be graded, and I pretty used Andy as a punching bag in the mission, which was more than likely the reason why I got a B. I went ahead and tried the mission again, getting a better power score, but a worse Technique score (since I was putting Andy in the battle a lot more). Once again, another B Rank. =(

Saturday, April 24th - At this point I was tired of retrying the mission again and again, so I figured I would do more research before I would pick up the game again. I also decided to have a preview video on the Sunday before I post the mission (which went up today). This video would explain some other things about the final mission (how to get specific allies) and basically show the layout of the battle itself. The reason I did this, not just because it would save time explaining it in the actual videos, but it also allowed me to actually try to do the commentary live, when I was originally considering post-commentary. It was going to be a challenge, but I was up for it.

Monday, April 26th - I finally went back to the game to try again, and unfortunately, I was still only to get a B Rank, but this was the best attempt thus far. I tried a new strategy using the left-side ally, which ended up working pretty well for me, which altered my strategies for the next attempts.

Wednesday, April 28th - Once again, had another attempt, but this time, things definitely went in my favor. I was able to not only complete the mission in the way and in the time I wanted, but I was also able to notice specific patterns in the enemy AI that I could exploit. After this attempt (ended up being an A Rank, which surprised the crap out of me), I decided that the next time would be the real time.

Friday, April 30th - The time had come! I was ready! Sturm was going down! I was going to complete this project! And sure enough, after the recording stopped, I was done. I'm not going to spoil the surprise of what I got in this mission (you will have to wait til tomorrow to see the final ranking), but things went well, especially considering I did it on my first recorded attempt of the mission (I've had a few missions where it took more than 1 recorded attempt, even after practicing). I got scared at the end though, because my recording actually screwed up at the very end while it was saving, but thankfully it was only the last minute or so (none of which was part of the actual battle). Then on Saturday, (yesterday), I did all the editing, and I am now prepared to post tomorrow!

See? Now do you see why I've been putting so much emphasis on this mission? It's tough people, really tough! Even experts of the game, and those terrible elitists, who may claim that the mission is easy as pie, probably struggled on it during their first playthroughs as well. You honestly can't say I'm exaggerating when the proof is in the pudding. Either way though, I'm glad Im finished with the mission, and at this point, the project (because I have filmed everything else).

---------------------------------------------------------

Back-Up Progress:

I haven't been able to make any major strides in my video backing-up on SlimKirby64 (neither has MegaFreak400, since he has also been really busy as of late), but Super Mario RPG is almost finished, and after that, I will only have Mario Party 3, Super Mario World, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and The Maze Game left.

For those wondering about Donkey Kong 64, I'm actually not going to be backing those videos up. I know I said I would, but I'm seriously thinking about doing a replay sometime in the future. I know I originally claimed that the project was fine the way it was, and that Yoshi's Island would be my final replay, but looking back on DK64, it is in pretty bad quality. I will make the official announcement when I'm ready, but I think you can definitely expect a replay sometime in the future. Right now, I'm not even sure when I could stick another long game into my schedule (especially with what I have planned at the end of May).

---------------------------------------------------------

Well, here is another short entry from the Slimster this week. I would write more, but I have to start studying for some final exams I have tomorrow (plus I have to make sure I am ready for the monster upload tomorrow as well). Thanks for joining me this week, and I will see you guys next week!

Later folks!

2 comments:

  1. It's great to know that you're planning a redo of the DK64 LP, I'm definitely looking forward to it :)

    Also, it would be great if you made a twitter account, as you mentioned briefly, because it's a way to get you even closer to your fans/subscribers.

    But anyways, I love your videos, and congratulations on 9000 subscribers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE POWER! I VOTE YOU BEST PERSON OF THE YEAR! FIVE STARS TOP VIDEOS EVER.

    YOU JUST DO WHAT YOU AND BECOME THE SUPERSTAR OF THE COMPUTERS, YEP ITS EASY FOR YOU, NOW IF YOU GET MONEY OUT OF IT...HA HA HA, YOUR THE BEST BEST BEST BEST PERSON OF THEM ALL, MY NAME ON YOUTUBE IS Slimkirby200, BECAUSE YOU NAME IS SUPER COOL, NOW DO SUPER MARIO GALAXY

    Until then blog on!!!

    ReplyDelete