Monday, August 9, 2010

8/9/10 - I Hate Being Late

Hello everybody, SlimKirby here, and welcome to my Sunday blog update! *looks at calendar and sees that it is Monday* oh crap….

Yes, once again I had a bit of an issue with timing for this blog, but this time, I literally forgot about it. Usually when my updates are late, I at least have them somewhat written already, or have the blog in the back of my mind throughout the entire day. This time, I was literally in bed trying to get to sleep when I realized that I forgot. Oh well, it’s something I can get done while I’m waiting for my videos to upload today.

So, there is not much to really catch you guys up on in my real life. I can’t believe in only just two weeks I’ll be back in school for my 4th year of college classes. I’m honestly not completely sure how to feel about that, but it needs to be done, I guess.

One thing that might be worth mentioning is that I may actually be meeting up with Youtube user and fellow CSS member PowerToMario tomorrow, which will be the first time I’ve seen a fellow CSS member face-to-face. Tonight we still need to discuss some details (like, where we will be meeting, and so on), but it’s completely plausible. I guess we’ll see how that goes (if it does) and then I might have to talk about it next week. There is also the possibility of meeting up with MadameWario as well (since she also lives in the area), but I’m not sure how much information she has gotten about this. Again, I guess we will see what happens.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Youtube Stuff:

Majora’s Mask seems to keep on going, and going, and going, and going, and going (not that I expected anything else). Although, it is comforting to know that I am approaching the end of the wire. In terms of video numbers, I’d still expect around 75 or 80 overall (for the main project anyways), but I think the only thing I can say for certain right now is that it will definitely not go over 100. Maybe if my time limit was still 11 minutes, it might be, but even then I have my doubts. The new 15-minute time limit has done wonders for this project, it really has.

Also, for anybody still in the dark, I actually started a new project yesterday, Let’s Play PilotWings 64. And the reception I got from the first video was actually kind of surprising. I got a few “What the F is this?” comments like I expected, but the feedback was mostly positive and there seems to be a lot of interest despite the type of game it is, which is what I was hoping for. It’s good to know that people are willing to give the project and the game a chance, because you never know what you are going to like. I for one, never would expect, as a child, that I would end up enjoying a game where you fly around with different air vehicles and try to do simple tasks like fly through rings and pop balloons, but then Pilotwings 64 showed up. As mentioned before, this project will only be updated on a “When I want to” basis, so I can’t really say when certain updates will occur. I am going to try and record the entire project before I go back to college though.

For CrystalStarStudio, we are currently in the process of uploading Chapter 8 videos. Because there have been so many trips and wisdom teeth removals as of late, getting together for commentary has been hard, but that’s why we recorded 6 videos last weekend (even though it was a pain getting everyone together, but I won’t get into that now). We just have to record 4 more videos, and the project should actually be finished by the end of next week, surprisingly. Then we have to decide what else we are going to do. =P

Also, as some of you might be wondering (I have gotten a few PMs about it already), I was actually a director of the new cooperative NinBuzz channel for a short period of 12 hours. For those who are unaware, Ninbuzz is basically a cooperative channel that is hoping to get an elite group of Youtube gamers together in order to create a haven of Nintendo goodness on one Youtube channel, and I actually got an invitation to be a part of it. Originally, I accepted the invitation, but decided against it after thinking about it for a little while. A reason for this is just because I have so much on my plate already, and adding a 3rd channel to which I submit stuff would not help those matters in the slightest. Another reason is that I would be working with complete strangers and people who I don’t know very well. With CrystalStarStudio, it’s different because I’ve known these guys for 2-4 years now and I actually trust them. NintendoCapriSun, who is one of the channel directors for Ninbuzz, while he seems like a nice, down-to-earth guy, doesn’t change the fact that I really have no idea who he even is as a person (besides the personality he shows in his videos). There are also a few other reasons to why I declined, but they are more personal and are reasons I don’t really feel comfortable with bringing up in a public blog. In the end though, if this channel is for real and if it’s legit (NO CHEATS), I wish the directors of NinBuzz good luck in their endeavors.

That’s really all I have to say about Youtube stuff for now. Next week, as we get closer and closer to the end of Majora’s Mask, I might start bringing up some possibilities of future projects and things I might start doing for the fall season. I’m not going to make any major promises or guarantees that I will reveal a whole lot, but I will try to spend some time talking about it.

Also, I’m not going to be posting the video schedule for the following week like I have done in past entries. The way I see it, I only have two projects, one of which is updated daily and the other of which is updated whenever I want it to be updated, so there really doesn’t seem to be a purpose to post the schedule when half of it is pretty much something you can expect on a daily basis, and the other half is random.

-------------------------------------------------------

Game of the Week

I actually haven’t done a GotW for awhile, but now it is time. This time I will be talking about a game I’ve gotten and completed recently.

Kirby: Squeak Squad (Mouse Attack)


Oh Kirby, Kirby, Kirby…..you are such a pimp (pimp? Oh dear, I guess I have been spending too much time chatting with MadameWario that I’m using her words now XD). Anyways, it’s actually been quite awhile since Kirby’s last ORIGINAL (so Super Star Ultra doesn’t count) platforming adventure, and with the announcement of Epic Yarn during the last E3, I felt it was time to go back and actually give Squeak Squad a try, since I actually haven’t played it before. I got the game from a local gamestop a few weeks back and I’ve been casually playing through it these past few weeks, completing it just a few days ago.

The game itself is quite like any Kirby game you’ve already seen before numerous times. In this game, a group of intergalactic mice steal Kirby’s prized Strawberry shortcake (wait, what?), and Kirby’s goal is to re-obtain it along with collecting any other treasures he can find. Yeah, the story is kind of lame, but you can’t and really shouldn’t expect a “Final Fantasy-esque” storyline from a Kirby game. After all, it’s the gameplay that matters, right?

Right off the bat, when playing this game, I actually notice quite a few similarities to the Great Cave Offensive from Kirby Super Star. You can play the game straight through if you want, but you are going to be tempted to collect all of the different treasures you can find and that Kirby can get his cute, little, greedy hand-stubs on. As you would expect, getting all the treasures is an intuitive process, as they are not all in plain sight right in front of you. Sometimes you will have to hit switches or have a specific copy ability to obtain the treasure. However, if you thought Great Cave Offensive or getting all the crystal shards in Kirby 64 was challenging, it’s pretty much the exact opposite experience for this game. You really don’t have to do that much thinking in order to obtain any treasure. Usually if you need a power-up to get through an obstacle or hit a far-away switch, the power-up is 98% of the time in the same room you are in. And for other treasures, usually if you just explore every crevice, and every nook and cranny (nook’s tranny cranny….again, too much time with MadameWario XD), you’ll find the treasures pretty easily. I honestly did not really get that much of a challenge from this game, not that I was really expecting a Kaizo Mario World or anything, but it almost seemed like just a baby version of the Kirby games. It was still a lot of fun, just really easy.

Some of the new power-ups you can get in the game are actually pretty cool. In fact, I think one of my new favorite Kirby power-ups is Magic Kirby, a form where Kirby wears an awesome magician top-hat, and can send playing cards or magic white doves as projectiles. A lot of the old, classic Kirby power-ups are also in the game as well, including Beam, Fire, Ice, Sword, Wheel, and two of my Kirby Superstar favorites, Hammer and BOMB! I also thought the concept behind Metal Kirby was kind of cool, although I hated using it.

And as usual, after you beat the game, you can expect a lot of different features and extra games, which does give the game some extra replay value. I wouldn’t say it’s a lot of replay value, but if boss endurances or level times trials are your thing, it’s delivers in that area.

Overall, as I mentioned earlier, it’s a decent game and worth checking out if you are into the Kirby genre, but if you are looking for a DS Kirby game, Kirby Superstar Ultra is obviously the better deal in the long run. This game just felt a little too easy, and I thought it could have given just a bit more replay value. Overall, I would give it a 3 out of 5. It’s nothing terrible, but nothing extraordinary, just averagely good.

LP Possibility: If I could play DS games on a console, hell yes. But for now, hell no!

---------------------------------------------------------------

And that’s about it for this blog entry! Again, I do apologize for the lateness, but I think this entry actually came out pretty well besides that, so hopefully that makes up for it. Before I go, there is one more thing I want to mention.

PowerToMario has also started a blog of his own, and is the 2nd CrystalStarStudio member to have one. I felt that since he is a part of the CSS gang, and is now the world of blogging, that I would give him and his blog a little plug, so here is a link to his blog if you want to check it out.

A Day in the Life

I think MegaFreak400 is also considering starting a blog of his own, so once he gets his first post up, I’ll probably give a plug to him as well.

Anyways, that’s about it for this week’s entry. See you guys next week where again, I will probably be late at updating. However, I have an excuse this time because I’ll be going on a small weekend trip to a place that has no Internet connection. I still should be able to get a post up on Sunday night though, but don’t be surprised if it’s late.

Later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment