Sunday, June 13, 2010

6/13/10 - Fairely and Squarely

Hello everybody, SlimKirby here, and welcome to another exciting (HA!) entry of FTMOS (for those who suck at acronyms, look at the name of the blog).

Not a lot went on this week worth noting about....really just the same old boring summer antics. Don't get me wrong, I love summer vacation, and the 3 1/2 month break from school and classes will always be a plus for me, but honestly, on a day-to-day basis, nothing interesting really happens during summer anymore. Let me tell you, I've had summers where I've worked, and I've had summers where I completely opened up my schedule, and I honestly couldn't tell you which one is better. When you are working, you are more than likely going to have a job you don't like doing (if you do, more power to you). Once you get that job, that is pretty much all you are going to do until the summer is over, or until the job doesn't need to be done anymore (aka: summer camps), and your schedule is pretty much going to be decided. When you don't get a job and rely on planning out your schedule, you pretty much have to take full initiative, otherwise nothing will get done and you are just going to be sitting in your room staring at the TV screen all day. For example, me and my friends from high school are planning two events for this summer; 1) Going to and observing a Pokemon tournament which will be held in Indianapolis, and 2) Hosting a personal gaming tournament between our group of friends (something we've been trying to do every 2 years since 2004). Now, I am totally committed to both things, yet my friends never seem to want to discuss or plan these things out. They assure me that the events will happen, but they conveniently never answer the questions of "When?" "Where?" and "How?" I think people are like this because they assume that since they have a few months, they can wait as long as they want because of the free time they think they have. However, the more you put it off, the less likely it's going to happen. For example, what if someone's work hours need to get extended? What if there is a family or personal emergency? Once one of those things happens, your plans are pretty much thrown out the window. You have to be persistent in planning something, because it won't happen otherwise, especially if you are like my friends, thinking you have more time than you actually do (although for them, it's more due to the fact that they have jobs, but still).

As I explained in my Faire Square videos, for videogames this week, I got into Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis for my DS playthrough of the week. Overall, it's a nice game, but it's also a game that I think needs a lot of different fixes. Some of the puzzles seem almost over the top and to get the best (gold) score, you pretty much have to memorize the best path through each level, which can be kind of annoying. This week I will be playing through Super Mario 64 DS again. At this point, as far as my star count is concerned, I am about 1/3 through the game, so I don't expect to take very long with it. So far I am enjoying the game, but I really wish the game could take advantage of an analog stick, as the platforming is kind of awkward with the directional pad. I'll probably talk about this a little more in my next Mario Party board.

----------------------------------------------

Majora's Mask:

Ok, so the project has been out for a week now, and so far, I can't really complain. I feel kind of badly about making the viewers sit through an entire cycle of sidequest stuff that doesn't HAVE to be done, but I'd honestly rather get some of it out of the way. I expect to continue the game to the first area on Friday (unless I decide to upload multiple videos this next week).

Speaking of multiple video uploads, that is something I will probably implement as time goes on, especially during the Mario Party 6 Extras. I'd like to at least upload 7 videos of this project per week in the hope that I don't take forever to do this project. I'm still trying to workshop a possible schedule, but at this point, it's kind of hard to figure out a plausible way of doing that. I'll probably post a video next weekend of what I plan to do, or I might wait until I make my Summer update video.

--------------------------------------------

Mario Party 6 - Faire Square:

As usual, possible spoilers for those who haven't watched (since this upload isn't a day old yet).

For something that took 2 playthroughs of the board to finish, I'm satisfied with the videos I ended up with. In my commentary, I actually felt more alive than usual, I actually had some good discussions and rants, and the board was just a refreshing experience. There was actually not much to get mad or angry about...for once! Yeah, there were a few unfortunate mini-game losses, stupid CPU AI, and some bouts of chance and luck, but it honestly felt pretty minimum, especially considering what I normally put up with when it comes to Mario Party.

In fact, because the board went so well, there is nothing I really feel like discussing....what you see in the videos is pretty much what you get.

Next week, channel SlimKirby will have the finale of the Party Mode boards, (can't believe this part of the playthrough is almost over already) CLOCKWORK CASTLE! Then we will have bunches and bunches of extras.

-------------------------------------------------------

CrystalStarStudio:

This past week we put another chapter to rest in our glorious TTYD playthrough when ShadowMarioXLI finished Chapter 5 and left Keelhaul Key with the Sapphire Star. Which means, as usual, I'll have to give my thoughts on how the man did.

To be honest, I really wasn't expecting much from ShadowBoy, but I don't mean that in a negative way. I think he has already proven himself to be a quality LPer, and I already felt comfortable putting the project into his capable hands. Overall, he did a really good job, pretty much what I was expecting...nothing to really criticize, negatively or positively...solid work.

And now, before I can finally sink my teeth into this project, we have one more chapter host remaining....the one...the only....PowerToMario. At this point, as with ThePastaKing, my only concern is updates. PTM has shown me in the past that he can make quality videos (Pokemon Silver), and while I don't think his work lately has reflected that project, I think he definitely has plenty of room to seize and succeed for this project, and I think he will. His updates on the other hand, I haven't been as impressed with. I will admit though, it has been a whirlwind of uncertainty with him as of late since he has been trying to work through his final weeks of high school, college orientation, and all that jazz, which is understandable. In the end though, he has given the members of CSS, and all of our viewers, his commitment and his word that he will come through for the project.

--------------------------------------------

Anyways, I think that is about it for this week's entry. Next week I will probably be on the subject on E3 and all of the wonderful gaming news, particularly for Nintendo. Should be a lot of interesting information! ;)

See you guys next time! Later folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment