Friday, March 18, 2011

3/18/11 - And The Kirbys Go Marching In!

GASP!

And almost two months later, you hear from me again!

Wow, it's been awhile since I've made an update on here, hasn't it? I honestly didn't even realize how long this wait has been until MadameWario made her most recent blog entry, and that's when I realized, "Hmmmm, that's right, I have a blog too." All in all, it's not a big deal though I guess. After all, in my last entry, I even said that I would only be updating with unscheduled, informal entries from now on, just so whenever I did write, I wouldn't feel pressured to get something up by a deadline and that way I could also talk about other things instead of having nothing to talk about. So instead of spending an entire paragraph apologizing (although I have already spent an entire paragraph justifying my absence X_X), let's get right into it.

Currently I am in my 8th/9th week of my 8th semester of college, and so far, it's actually been going pretty well. I actually feel like I'm doing well in my classes, and for the first time in the last 4 years, I'm actually happy with how things are going at my university. I still don't want to be here, but at least I'm not depressed while not wanting to be here. =P The way things are going now, I will still have another year to spend here (1/2 the year on campus, the other 1/2 commuting because I'll only have 2 or 3 classes), which does kind of suck because I'll be a 5-year graduate instead of a 4-year, but for a college student, and one that has changed his major twice, that's actually pretty good. Just have to keep my grades up and stay on this high, and I'll have that bachelor's degree in no time! =P

In the gaming world, I can't really say too much at this point, but the release of the Nintendo 3DS is just around the corner! To be quite honest, I actually didn't pre-order the handheld, and will be testing my stupid luck to see if I can maybe pick it up at launch (or a few weeks after launch). I know I am probably not being smart about this purchase, especially considering how epic the Nintendo Wii launch was, but I don't know......the part of my state where I live (technically both parts...my home and college), just doesn't embrace video games as much as the rest of the world, and generally, I have very little issue getting anything on launch date anyway. Not only that, I'm not really even sure I want the 3DS on launch just because there aren't any big games just yet. The only launch game I'm even remotely excited about is Pilotwings Resort, and even then, I don't expect that game to hold me over for THAT long. I might wait until some other big name games come out first, but I guess even then, it's still too early to tell. I will say though, for once, money is not and will never be an issue for me and games anymore....although that's a story for another day....or never. >=)

I did pick up Pokemon Black though and have been spending a great deal of time with it. So far, it's actually a pretty sweet game. It's given me frustrations, but it's also given me some good times as well. It definitely has its own charm despite not changing too much in Pokemon formula, which I do give it a lot of credit for. A lot of people I know criticize the game for not being very different from its predecessors, and make it seem like every new game is just a dump of 100+ more Pokemon, but really, you can't blame Pokemon too much for that. It just seems to have a case of the "Simpsons Did It" curse, where eventually it just gets to the point where they are digging way too deep for ideas and usually end either up going in a very weird direction, or just end up slightly re-factoring an idea that's already been done. It doesn't mean it's bad or anything, rather originality is just a little harder to come by, and sometimes when it is, it's a rather strange originality. One thing I can definitely give this generation props for is the story, because the story is rather unique in it's own way, especially when compared to the other generations. But yeah, that's my take so far on Pokemon B/W.

As for other games, I can honestly say that I haven't really been playing much besides that. If anything, I've been trying to go back through older games, mainly for nostalgia, and also I've been trying to think of some future LP ideas as well. I recently finished completing my Virtual Console copy of Mario Party 2, unlocking every mini-game and beating the dreaded Mini-Game Coaster on all 3 difficulty levels.....which was a challenge, to say the least....mainly due to controls actually. I've also been trying to finish up a Hard Mode playthrough of Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, which I kind of stopped just because it got to the point of somewhat tedium. Not because of it being difficult or anything. It's just that the chapters take a lot longer and they are already pretty long chapters. Also I am a very bad multi-tasker, which is relevant because I for some reason kept trying to do other things whenever I would play the game. X_X

And I guess with that, I can start getting into Youtube stuff. Well, since I last left you guys, I finished up New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and started a new project, "Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon," which has generally been getting a really positive reception from people. In fact, at the top of my head, I honestly can't think of any negative feedback on the game thus far, which I guess is a good sign. I should also be starting Mario Party 8 very soon and I have a lot of big ideas for the future (moreso than I did 2 months ago), so yeah, things are going pretty well. I'm also about to hit 40,000 subscribers as well, so thanks to all of you for making that possible! =) I don't have much to report from CrystalStarStudio or The Blargg Pit at this time, but keep your eyes peeled as I'm sure we will have a lot of interesting stuff coming up soon!

Anyways, I think that's about all I need to report on, so I'll talk to you guys later! Hope you guys had a great Spring Break for those who had it already, and if you haven't, hope you have a good one when it comes up. Not sure how long the wait for the next entry will be, but I'll try to make it sooner than the last one (no promises though).

Later folks!

1 comment:

  1. If you want to email me or keeep in contact, email "jamesg@slblackburnsth.catholic.edu.au" Thanks.
    Keep up the great work!
    James

    ReplyDelete